Monday 28 May 2007

Gyms overrated??

Last week, a few colleagues of mine checked out a gymnasium/fitness center called Talwalkars very close to where we work. On questioned as to how it was, the following is the reply that I got. "Hmm it was quite nice. But slightly expensive." How much is slightly you ask? about Rs 8,000/- for three or four months.
Huh? Excuse me. I was pretty sure I had not heard right. Either that or I was old. Really really old,belonging to the previous century probably.

Well, it looks like I am getting old. Because yes. 'slightly' is that much. And as if I was not old enough already, there was more news. Gold gym trying very hard to sound as reasonable as possible stated that they charge only Rs 5000/- a month. Their argument is essentially that you can end up paying upto a good sum of 1,00,000/- if you try an annual membership at a gym at any five star hotel. Which costs you around 8500/- per month (if you take an annual membership ie). And if you dont, then it could go upto 10,000/- a month.Phew.

On the bright side, most of these gyms do come with state of the art equipment and trained professionals to guide you with well planned (or so they say) programmes. And they even allow you to bring your own music sometimes :-).

With all those facts out there, do I think it is a good deal?? Well, though I am getting used to the idea, Im afraid it hasn't sounded as appealing to me yet. But there are tons of people who think otherwise. And as long as there are, Talwalkars and Gold will continue on their successful rampages..

6 comments:

Srinivasan said...

Phew.....once upon a time when I used to visit a gym - a decent one at that (of course that was in some medieval era or jurassic era) i used to shell out 250/- per month. Now looks like gymming is extremely expensive territory....

Aj said...

I paid Rs 9000 for three months for a gym in Chennai, no complaints, as i got to run along with two famous South Indian actresses everyday...(Read 'Trisha'/'Mumtazh') ;) , if gold and talwalkars gives me such an offer i ll bloody take it man, well what the hell, am single and am Looking, what else can i ask for?? :)

Anonymous said...

you are not old, dont worry. i used to pay Rs250 for a dappankuttu gym near my house. Though it mordern enough for me to sweat it out a little. music was played by local tea shop vendor malla or auto driver kariya , usually cassettes of boisterous dappankuttu music. Evenings usually are followed a small gambling session in the dressing room accompanied by some alcohol. Now you want that or talwalkars , you decide.

Neha said...

Prateechee,

I'm in the same old school as you....I think paying 5000 or 8000 for a gym is over-rated. No matter how good the equipment or trainers are.but with people's salaries soaring especially the IT brigade and the changing mindset of spending, these gyms will flourish.

kpowerinfinity said...

Usually yearly subscriptions come out more reasonable. at T it is about 19k, which in many cases your employer might pay. Not to condone their fleecing the junta of course

Anonymous said...

I think in some way they are justified for charging this much , Any descent treadmill costs upwards of 1 lakh , A top of the line multi gym from Hercules will put you back by a few lakhs . Gyms like Chisel have Reebok trained instructors who charge a bomb, and these gyms are meant for affluent ppl who have money to spare. Remember though there is no such thing as a free lunch :-).